The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

Woot! Alha, you inspired me. QB just now... and an easy four letter word, too.

I got frustrated and used a hint from the Buddy to get the last word. Probably would have got it anyway if I had stayed patient. 

Missed "moonlit." 

I often fail to look for compound words enough.

jimmurphy said:

Missed "moonlit." 

moonlit was the word I went to the Buddy for. Probably would have got it eventually. But there comes a point where I just want to finish grin

jimmurphy said:

Missed "moonlit." 

I have a lot of trouble with compound words... let's talk tomorrow. grin

A bit of a thread drift, but has anyone tried Connections yet? 

https://www.nytimes.com/games/connections?mibextid=Zxz2cZ 

zucca said:

Oh no! Another puzzle. That was fun... grin 

KarenMarlowe said:

Oh no! Another puzzle. That was fun...
grin

at least it’s a quickie. 

Fell a few short yesterday. Never heard of a "dooryard."

KarenMarlowe said:

zucca said:

Oh no! Another puzzle. That was fun...
grin

That was fun.

another day in which I lost patience and used the Buddy to get the last couple of words and hit the QB. Today is very do-able for anyone who wants to go for it. Only one word I would consider somewhat obscure.

ml1 said:

another day in which I lost patience and used the Buddy to get the last couple of words and hit the QB. Today is very do-able for anyone who wants to go for it. Only one word I would consider somewhat obscure.

I am four out... still working on it.

KarenMarlowe said:

ml1 said:

And... QB. Woot!

yahooyahoo said:

Fell a few short yesterday. Never heard of a "dooryard."

same  here ... never heard of "dooryard" and doubt that I'll remember it for the future

KarenMarlowe said:

I'm at QB -1 and just not seeing what I'm missing

alha said:

KarenMarlowe said:

I'm at QB -1 and just not seeing what I'm missing

There was one word that I just threw against the wall and it stuck. I didn't actually think it was a word, at least not spelled that way. 

KarenMarlowe said:

There was one word that I just threw against the wall and it stuck. I didn't actually think it was a word, at least not spelled that way. 

Was it "fillip" by any chance? That was the one word that kept me from reaching QB yesterday...a word I've never heard of....so it's no wonder I didn't see it.

alha said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Was it "fillip" by any chance? That was the one word that kept me from reaching QB yesterday...a word I've never heard of....so it's no wonder I didn't see it.

Yes, I was thinking of a Phillips head screwdriver so I just tried it. I didn't think it would be right... 

I thought pen pal was one word.....

jimmurphy said:

QB-1, yet again…

oh yeah, those can really sting.. I don't mind it if the missing word is one I'm unfamiliar with, like the recent "fillip" was for me, but when it's a word I should have gotten...that's a whole other story. cheese

QB! The last two words were eluding me, so I walked away. Saw them in my brain almost right away. Stupid game... lol.

KarenMarlowe said:

QB! The last two words were eluding me, so I walked away. Saw them in my brain almost right away. Stupid game... lol.

congrats...I'm at QB-4 and done for the night

alha said:

KarenMarlowe said:

congrats...I'm at QB-4 and done for the night

Thank you! It was a long slog...

KarenMarlowe said:

Well done, Karen!

Not stupid. Challenging the brain!

Keep it up, as I will!

Got QB today. First time without any hints in quite a while. 

Nice, ml1!

QB-3 for me, so far. Will have to keep trying occasionally.

Fast start, but (terminally?) stuck at QB-1, oh well.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.