GOP2020: What Becomes Of The Collaborators Post-Trump?

Thanks RFA,

I also wanted to share something that I just saw which is disturbing.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/28/department-of-justice-demands-facebook-account-information-of-anti-trump-activists/

Not the first time presidents invade our privacy. Bush was looking at all manner of communication after 9/11.

Part of the anti terrorism quest was surveillance of animal rights activists. Senator Lautenberg thought it was ridiculous. I've misplaced the coverage of his statements. Nevertheless, after I went to a conference with awards for the HSUS and the founders of Petfinder etc, I picked up some literature and checked out a website that was more extreme. Not long after I noticed annoying clicks on my phone line.  I realize that this may sound strange to some but I met at least 2 professors who were activists in other arenas and they confirmed that their phones were tapped for a couple of years. It was so annoying and random that my dad would just understand if I signed off and called back. I even complained to the phone company. Towards the end of the Bush presidency it stopped.

So now Trump can read my Facebook posts and decide they are so polite that he may offer me a cabinet position. Hopefully Secretary of the Interior after Zinke gets the inevitable tweet.

Morganna said:
Thanks RFA,
https://nypost.com/2017/09/28/department-of-justice-demands-facebook-account-information-of-anti-trump-activists/
Not the first time presidents invade our privacy. Bush was looking at all manner of communication after 9/11.
Part of the anti terrorism quest was surveillance of animal rights activists. Senator Lautenberg thought it was ridiculous. I've misplaced the coverage of his statements. Nevertheless, after I went to a conference with awards for the HSUS and the founders of Petfinder etc, I picked up some literature and checked out a website that was more extreme. Not long after I noticed annoying clicks on my phone line.  I realize that this may sound strange to some but I met at least 2 professors who were activists in other arenas and they confirmed that their phones were tapped for a couple of years. It was so annoying and random that my dad would just understand if I signed off and called back. I even complained to the phone company. Towards the end of the Bush presidency it stopped.
So now Trump can read my Facebook posts and decide they are so polite that he may offer me a cabinet position. Hopefully Secretary of the Interior after Zinke gets the inevitable tweet.

That is disturbing. Conservatives and libertarians must be outraged! Oh, wait.

gerritn said:

Morganna said:
Thanks RFA,
That is disturbing. Conservatives and libertarians must be outraged! Oh, wait.

I would classify myself as a classical liberal libertarian.  And, yes I am outraged (this anti-terrorism legislation was supposed to protect us from Al-Qaeda); instead, it appears  that it is being used against US citizens who disagree with various policies of this administration (and prior administrations)!!

Brief poem by our president, upon learning of the missing WaPo reporter:

“We want to find out what happened

He went in and doesn’t look like he came out. 

It certainly doesn’t look like he’s around.”

Ye (formerly Kanye) shares wisdom with equally stable genius DJT:

Here are some of the wildest comments West made during his soliloquy:

1. “This is our president, he has to be the freshest, the flyest, the flyest planes, the best factories and we have to make our core be in power.”

2. Trump “might not have expected to have a crazy ************ like Kanye West supporting him.”

3. West said he would potentially run for president “only after 2024.”

4. “I love this guy.” [Followed up with a hug.]

5. “The problem is illegal guns, illegal guns is the problem. Not legal guns. We have the right to bear arms.”

6. “Let’s stop worrying about the future, all we have is today. ... Trump is on his hero’s journey right now.”

7. “There was something about when I put this hat on it made me feel like Superman. You made a Superman, that’s my favorite superhero, you made a Superman cape for me.”

8. “One of the moves I love that liberals try to do ― a liberal would try to control a black person with the concept of racism because they know we are a very proud, emotional people.”

9. Talking about the Constitution’s 13th Amendment, which forbids slavery: “Why would you keep something around that’s a trap door? If you’re building a floor, the Constitution is the base of our industry, of our country, of our company. Would you build a trap door that if you mess up and accidentally something happens, you fall and you end up next to the Unabomber? You got to remove all that trap door out of the relationship.”

10. “I think the way the universe works is perfect. We don’t have 13 floors, do we?”

11. “Time is a myth.”

12. “You are tasting a fine wine. It has complex notes to it.”

13. “My dad and my mom separated, so there was not a lot of male energy in my home, and also I’m married to a family where, you know, there’s not a lot of male energy. It’s beautiful though.”

HuffPost

Yup, that’s POTUS, spending time with Ye. Reminds me of the BHO Beer Summit. Much was learned. DJT is clearly “the freshest; the flyest”

My fave is #9. I’ll bet MLK and Malcolm wish they’d said that. Especially the Unabomber part.

RealityForAll said:
It appears to me that "but for" the "Nuclear Option" being invoked by Harry Reid in the Senate in 2013 (with regard to appointments of federal judges other than the US Supreme Court), BK would never have been appointed to the SCOTUS. Reid set a precedent that many have come to regret. See link below to interview with Chuck Schumer regarding his regrets on Reid invoking nuclear option.
"But for" Reid invoking the Nuclear Option, it is likely that less partisan appointments would have been made by DJT (because absent the current rule of a simple majority  required for SCOTUS nominee approval, the prior rule would control: which required a super-majority).  The prior rule (namely, 60 votes for presidential nominations) forces bipartisanship upon the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate as a whole.  

Link to Hill internet article regarding Schumer's regrets on Reid invoking Nuclear Option.

See https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/312540-schumer-regrets-dems-triggering-nuclear-option

Link to CBS site has a good explanation of how the prior rule was changed.

See https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nuclear-option-why-trumps-supreme-court-pick-needs-only-51-votes-in-the-senate/

And you somehow think that McConnell, the filthy worm who would destroy the world to keep his grip on the Senate, would not have invoked the nuclear option?

tjohn said:

RealityForAll said:
It appears to me that "but for" the "Nuclear Option" being invoked by Harry Reid in the Senate in 2013 (with regard to appointments of federal judges other than the US Supreme Court), BK would never have been appointed to the SCOTUS. Reid set a precedent that many have come to regret. See link below to interview with Chuck Schumer regarding his regrets on Reid invoking nuclear option.
"But for" Reid invoking the Nuclear Option, it is likely that less partisan appointments would have been made by DJT (because absent the current rule of a simple majority  required for SCOTUS nominee approval, the prior rule would control: which required a super-majority).  The prior rule (namely, 60 votes for presidential nominations) forces bipartisanship upon the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate as a whole.  

Link to Hill internet article regarding Schumer's regrets on Reid invoking Nuclear Option.

See https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/312540-schumer-regrets-dems-triggering-nuclear-option

Link to CBS site has a good explanation of how the prior rule was changed.

See https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nuclear-option-why-trumps-supreme-court-pick-needs-only-51-votes-in-the-senate/
And you somehow think that McConnell, the filthy worm who would destroy the world to keep his grip on the Senate, would not have invoked the nuclear option?

My recollection was that Repub staffers suggested using the Nuclear Option idea back in the naughts (00s).  But, Repub leadership (namely, Trent Lott) believed that the Nuclear Option was too drastic and refused to employ it.

Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid, unilaterally invoked the Nuclear Option.  In the world that we live in, the person who pushes the button first is generally considered responsible.  In this case, that person is Harry Reid.  Considering an option and deciding that it is too drastic, unilateral or unfair generally does not give rise to culpability.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_option

Trump and Kanye.  Two self proclaimed geniuses.  It has saved everyone else the effort of calling them geniuses.

I’m not buying Kanye’s yapping. He has no conviction, he’s trying to stay relevant and if this will draw attention to him then so be it. Any publicity is good publicity. 

Kimmel: "there you have it - the 45th and 46th presidents of the US."

ElizMcCord said:
I’m not buying Kanye’s yapping. He has no conviction, he’s trying to stay relevant and if this will draw attention to him then so be it. Any publicity is good publicity. 

Apparently, he's bipolar and refuses to accept it. Kinda sad, through that lens, to have him in Oval with reporters. Trump's incompetence, amorality, narcissism, know no bounds.

I must have missed it when Laura Ingraham told Kanye to shut up.

Someone on Morning Joe said purpose was to distract from news about Hurricane

RealityForAll said:

Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid, unilaterally invoked the Nuclear Option.  In the world that we live in, the person who pushes the button first is generally considered responsible.  In this case, that person is Harry Reid.  Considering an option and deciding that it is too drastic, unilateral or unfair generally does not give rise to culpability.

you have no clue. i mean, no clue.

Reid invoked the nuke because McConnell was using the filibuster in an unprecedented way in order to stifle Obama from doing anything. Reid had no choice if the Obama and the Dems wished to actually govern.

It was McConnell who pushed the damn button. Not Reid.

But I guess this just makes me a tribalist.

jeebus

drummerboy said:

RealityForAll said:

Reid invoked the nuke because McConnell was using the filibuster in an unprecedented way in order to stifle Obama from doing anything. Reid had no choice if the Obama and the Dems wished to actually govern.

jeebus

You are entitled to your POV.  However, Schumer's regret at Dems invoking Nuclear Option is not consistent with your POV. See https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/312540-schumer-regrets-dems-triggering-nuclear-option

Additionally, the prior rule (requiring 60 votes for cloture, a procedure for ending  debate and taking a vote) forced bipartisanship on the Senate.  Especially with regard to cabinet appointments and judicial appointments of the President.  In the end, Harry Reid decided that more power for the majority party at that moment in 2013 was worth the risk of being out of power in the future (and being severely limited in push back due to the change in rules - otherwise known as the nuclear option).  Harry Reid miscalculated.  Yes, Dems with Harry Reid's leadership got Patricia Millett and Mel Watt approved by Senate by employing the Nuclear Option.  

The lack of Dem concern for invoking the nuclear option may have been caused by numerous reports in early 2010s that Dems had a permanent majority (due to permanent realignment of voters).  See  https://newrepublic.com/article/110222/the-ecstasy-and-agonies-permanent-democratic-majority  Another, Dem miscalculation.  The real question: Is a De-Nuclearization Option available?

Hey, it could've been some 400lb. kid with a bonesaw...

President Donald Trump said Monday after speaking with Saudi Arabia’s King Salman that “rogue killers” may be responsible for the mysterious disappearance of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

″I just spoke with the King of Saudi Arabia who denies any knowledge of what took place with regard to, as he said, his ‘Saudi Arabian citizen,’” Trump told reporters on the White House lawn. “He firmly denied that.” 

Trump added: “Maybe these could have been rogue killers. Who knows?” 

Trump tweeted earlier that he’ll be “immediately sending” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to meet with King Salman.

“Just spoke to the King of Saudi Arabia who denies any knowledge of whatever may have happened ‘to our Saudi Arabian citizen,’” Trump wrote in the tweet. 

“He said that they are working closely with Turkey to find answer. I am immediately sending our Secretary of State to meet with King!”

HuffPost

Let's not hold up arms sales or whatever conspiracy Jared and the Prince have cooked up to get richer.

He's only a "Permanent resident".  Had he been a citizen we may have knocked off 20 billion from the 100 billion arms sale.  (Which may only be 20 billion to begin with).

GL2 said:
Hey, it could've been some 400lb. kid with a bonesaw...

President Donald Trump said Monday after speaking with Saudi Arabia’s King Salman that “rogue killers” may be responsible for the mysterious disappearance of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
″I just spoke with the King of Saudi Arabia who denies any knowledge of what took place with regard to, as he said, his ‘Saudi Arabian citizen,’” Trump told reporters on the White House lawn. “He firmly denied that.” 
Trump added: “Maybe these could have been rogue killers. Who knows?” 
Trump tweeted earlier that he’ll be “immediately sending” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to meet with King Salman.
“Just spoke to the King of Saudi Arabia who denies any knowledge of whatever may have happened ‘to our Saudi Arabian citizen,’” Trump wrote in the tweet. 
“He said that they are working closely with Turkey to find answer. I am immediately sending our Secretary of State to meet with King!”
HuffPost

Maybe he fell into a sinkhole inside the embassy compound.

Trump did tell us not to believe what we see and hear.  This probably includes surveillance video as well.  

RealityForAll said:

drummerboy said:

RealityForAll said:

jeebus
 You are entitled to your POV.  However, Schumer's regret at Dems invoking Nuclear Option is not consistent with your POV. See https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/312540-schumer-regrets-dems-triggering-nuclear-option

Additionally, the prior rule (requiring 60 votes for cloture, a procedure for ending  debate and taking a vote) forced bipartisanship on the Senate.  Especially with regard to cabinet appointments and judicial appointments of the President.  In the end, Harry Reid decided that more power for the majority party at that moment in 2013 was worth the risk of being out of power in the future (and being severely limited in push back due to the change in rules - otherwise known as the nuclear option).  Harry Reid miscalculated.  Yes, Dems with Harry Reid's leadership got Patricia Millett and Mel Watt approved by Senate by employing the Nuclear Option.  
The lack of Dem concern for invoking the nuclear option may have been caused by numerous reports in early 2010s that Dems had a permanent majority (due to permanent realignment of voters).  See  https://newrepublic.com/article/110222/the-ecstasy-and-agonies-permanent-democratic-majority  Another, Dem miscalculation.  The real question: Is a De-Nuclearization Option available?

how can you have bipartisanship with a minority leader who wants to obstruct everything you do? 

CNN is reporting that Saudis preparing to say that Khashoggi died in an interrogation that went wrong. It was a botched kidnapping carried out by rogue intelligence officers and didn't have proper clearance from the top. 

cramer said:
CNN is reporting that Saudis preparing to say that Khashoggi died in an interrogation that went wrong. It was a botched kidnapping carried out by rogue intelligence officers and didn't have proper clearance from the top. 

You can’t trust CNN. Any minute now, Paul or Nan will introduce reliable news sources implicating Her Majesty’s Secret Service - the same people who have been killing ex-Russian spies in places like Salisbury. 

cramer said:

Good thing they had a bonesaw on hand. Goes to show you can never be too prepared.

dave23 said:

cramer said:
 Good thing they had a bonesaw on hand. Goes to show you can never be too prepared.

It's in the Saudi Army knife in place of the corkscrew.

dave23 said:

cramer said:

Are you saying you don’t keep a bonesaw handy? Let’s be fair here.

How often do you hear the words bone saw in an MOL thread? I'm enjoying the Halloweenesque quality of the discussion. And the image of a 400lb. man with a bone saw conjures up a Criminal Minds episode. I think the killer ate his victims. Can we assume they brought cookware with them? Let's send the theory to Alex Jones and let him run with it. Could we suggest it was a plot put into motion by the infamous Pelosi?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.