GOP2020: What Becomes Of The Collaborators Post-Trump?

Morganna said:
How often do you hear the words bone saw in an MOL thread? I'm enjoying the Halloweenesque quality of the discussion. And the image of a 400lb. man with a bone saw conjures up a Criminal Minds episode. I think the killer ate his victims. Can we assume they brought cookware with them? Let's send the theory to Alex Jones and let him run with it. Could we suggest it was a plot put into motion by the infamous Pelosi?

reminds me of this.  Targeted advertising gone terribly wrong:

nohero said:

dave23 said:

cramer said:
CNN is reporting that Saudis preparing to say that Khashoggi died in an interrogation that went wrong. It was a botched kidnapping carried out by rogue intelligence officers and didn't have proper clearance from the top. 
 Good thing they had a bonesaw on hand. Goes to show you can never be too prepared.
 It's in the Saudi Army knife in place of the corkscrew.

lol (though a bit morbid)

nohero said:

dave23 said:

cramer said:
CNN is reporting that Saudis preparing to say that Khashoggi died in an interrogation that went wrong. It was a botched kidnapping carried out by rogue intelligence officers and didn't have proper clearance from the top. 
 Good thing they had a bonesaw on hand. Goes to show you can never be too prepared.
 It's in the Saudi Army knife in place of the corkscrew.

Wanted to make sure this comment got the recognition it deserved.

Weaves together so much in 11 words...late night worthy.

Is this supposed to be funny. I do not find it so.

An American Journalist was murdered in the Saudi Consulate in a NATO ally. Imagine if this happened in the Iranian Consulate. Imagine if something like this happened during the Obama Administration.

The 110 million dollar deal Trump keeps talking about is pretty much of a myth, but does anyone doubt that Trump expects to get or already has gotten a piece of the action?

LOST said:
Is this supposed to be funny. I do not find it so.
An American Journalist was murdered in the Saudi Consulate in a NATO ally. Imagine if this happened in the Iranian Consulate. Imagine if something like this happened during the Obama Administration.
The 110 million dollar deal Trump keeps talking about is pretty much of a myth, but does anyone doubt that Trump expects to get or already has gotten a piece of the action?

It's not funny.  We're mocking the people who think they're fooling us.

OK. But while they may not be fooling "us" they are fooling many, many others.

LOST said:
OK. But while they may not be fooling "us" they are fooling many, many others.

True.  For example, I don't know where Mr. Surovell stands on buying Trump's "could be rogue murderers" theory, since we haven't heard from him yet.

Lighten up, Francis. Graveyard humor is all some of have left to believe in.

I wonder if Dexter is “must watch” T .V. for the Saudi intelligence service. 

tjohn said:

uh oh, he's on a roll.

tjohn said:

I agree completely. He's manic and needs to be medicated, and Trump and th he media are eating it up. It's Charlie Sheen redux.

GL2
said:

Apparently, he's bipolar and refuses to accept it. Kinda sad, through that lens, to have him in Oval with reporters. Trump's incompetence, amorality, narcissism, know no bounds.

Perhaps it's lost on Trump that he is the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces.  Perhaps it is also lost on Trump that our military are prepared to die in service to their country.  That's got to mean something.  But, hey, that golf swing isn't going to improve by itself without putting the work in. When my brother served in Vietnam, every time the doorbell rang we'd jump out of our skins.  My sister and I -- adolescents then -- decided that if military officers came to our house while big brother was in 'Nam we weren't going to open the door for them, because it could only mean one thing.  We were lucky; my brother came home.  Others not so much.  

thehill.com:  Trump says he hasn't visited Troops overseas because he's very busy

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/411998-trump-says-he-hasnt-visited-troops-overseas-because-hes-very-busy

News flash!

President Trump told reporters Thursday that “it certainly looks” like journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead, calling it “very sad.”

Why it matters: Despite acknowledging that Khashoggi is likely dead, and a flood of reporting that suggests Khashoggi was gruesomely murdered inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Trump has been hesitant to place blame on the Saudis. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who recently went to Saudi Arabia to meet with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, has advised the president that the U.S. wait "a few more days" before getting involved.

Axios

DottyParker said:
Perhaps it's lost on Trump that he is the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces.  Perhaps it is also lost on Trump that our military are prepared to die in service to their country.  That's got to mean something.  But, hey, that golf swing isn't going to improve by itself without putting the work in. When my brother served in Vietnam, every time the doorbell rang we'd jump out of our skins.  My sister and I -- adolescents then -- decided that if military officers came to our house while big brother was in 'Nam we weren't going to open the door for them, because it could only mean one thing.  We were lucky; my brother came home.  Others not so much.  

thehill.com:  Trump says he hasn't visited Troops overseas because he's very busy
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/411998-trump-says-he-hasnt-visited-troops-overseas-because-hes-very-busy

Where are we when Little Lord Jared is on WhatsApp with MBS? When SoS sits and giggles with MBS? When POTUS shills for his investors?

GL2 said:
News flash!
President Trump told reporters Thursday that “it certainly looks” like journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead, calling it “very sad.”
Why it matters: Despite acknowledging that Khashoggi is likely dead, and a flood of reporting that suggests Khashoggi was gruesomely murdered inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Trump has been hesitant to place blame on the Saudis. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who recently went to Saudi Arabia to meet with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, has advised the president that the U.S. wait "a few more days" before getting involved.
Axios

I guess this is a 12 step process for Chump.  He is admitting that Khashoggi is dead.  Next, he will acknowledge he was murdered.  Eventually, he will acknowledge that MBS authorized this.

for once I have to give Trump credit. Unlike previous presidents he isn't pretending to care about this. In the past there would have been much tough talk and empty threats against Saudi Arabia and then when the outrage died down, business as usual. Trump is making it clear from the start that he doesn't care. 

Let's face it, if there weren't any consequences for a bunch of Saudis killing 3000 Americans, why should anyone care about one journalist?

ml1 said:
for once I have to give Trump credit. Unlike previous presidents he isn't pretending to care about this. In the past there would have been much tough talk and empty threats against Saudi Arabia and then when the outrage died down, business as usual. Trump is making it clear from the start that he doesn't care. 
Let's face it, if there weren't any consequences for a bunch of Saudis killing 3000 Americans, why should anyone care about one journalist?

Most things are political, of course.  But I worry about a world in which we remove any veneer of civilization from our actions and just say that the only thing that matters is that we win.  That approach may start off shore but will eventually make its way home.

tjohn said:

ml1 said:
Most things are political, of course.  But I worry about a world in which we remove any veneer of civilization from our actions and just say that the only thing that matters is that we win.  That approach may start off shore but will eventually make its way home.

I agree with your premise, but I believe we were already at that point long before Trump.  If Vietnam didn't send that message, I'm pretty sure the Bush Doctrine clinched it.

The truely horribly aspect of Vietnam is that our involvement was the result of domestic political calculations.  After the Bay of Pigs fiasco, the Democrats couldn't afford to be portrayed as soft on Communists.  It never was a national security thing.

GL2 said:
News flash!
Axios

It absolutely does not matter that he said this.   If it serves his purpose he will deny having said it and his base will continue to support him.  We have to stop thinking that we will catch him in something such that he will come clean.   The only way we are going to ‘catch’ him is if the evidence convinces law enforcement that he needs to be prosecuted.  Even then he will deny everything.  

ml1 said:

Probably for the same reason why Bush knew he couldn't get Americans to care about invading Iraq unless he tied Saddam to the deaths of those 3000 Americans. 

At a Rally yesterday Trump praised a Congressman who pleaded guilty to assaulting a reporter. This is while he downplays the murder of Khashoggi. Even the Brits have called him out

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-no-10-responds-to-donald-trump-praise-for-congressman-greg-gianforte-who-body-slammed-reporter/

Is it really such a stretch to call Trump a Fascist?

Tangential: just read an interview in current Mother Jones in which David Corn interviews conservative Max Boot. Boot talks about his gradual recognition of what the Republican party is now. And not just in Trump Era, but - given what he's seen and heard - he has a realization that so many previously-held ideas were in fact code talk for policies that have, at root, misogyny, racism, xenophobia.

I'd like to believe that this is an honest "confession" of sorts, even though  these points seem obvious. The interview felt quite real.

Even as a cynical old-school lefty, I was kinda moved by this piece.

LOST said:
At a Rally yesterday Trump praised a Congressman who pleaded guilty to assaulting a reporter. This is while he downplays the murder of Khashoggi. Even the Brits have called him out
https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-no-10-responds-to-donald-trump-praise-for-congressman-greg-gianforte-who-body-slammed-reporter/

Is it really such a stretch to call Trump a Fascist?

I don't think he is a Fascist.  I think Trump is a shameless opportunist who will do anything to win the battle of the moment.  And if pandering to Fascism is what it takes to win, then he will do it.

Agree. Anyone following the FBI building story about competition for Trump's hotel? How blatant does his behavior need to be before some arm of government steps up.

I'm coming to the conclusion (not very deep) that it's not Trump so much, but what Trump appeals to in the country. He's revealed who we are and it ain't pretty. The rallies? I honestly didn't think we were that awful.

GL2 said:
I'm coming to the conclusion (not very deep) that it's not Trump so much, but what Trump appeals to in the country. He's revealed who we are and it ain't pretty. The rallies? I honestly didn't think we were that awful.

This is the concerning thing.  When Trump is gone, whenever that is, everything he stands for will remain.  IMHO, the most dangerous thing is the world of "alternative facts" on the right.  And that started long before Trump.  Bush and Rove were the ones who really perfected it, and they laid the track for the Trump Train.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.